Shooting the shit like I did at the BCC from those couches





Thursday, September 02, 2010

I'm So Glad....



"I'm So Glad" is a marching band staple! Its the "Round Midnight" of HBCUs and High Schools across the country, I swear. I first heard it during high school being played by one of our rivals. It pissed me off that we couldn't afford a marching band until junior year(Chicago Public Schools at the time had some serious broke issues)!!! Nothing says "inferior" more than losing to your rival school and then having to hear them serenade their fans and supporters with their theme song from a marching band. Especially since your school, that just got beat, doesn't even have a marching band!

But anyways.....



Its amazing how every school tailors the lyrics to fit the name of their institution.

"I'm so glad I go to J-S-U!!!"
or
"I'm so glad I go to C-V-S!!!"

Hearing this from the stands before, during, and DEFINATELY AFTER the games, its hard to argue that this is a key component as to why so many schools adopted this number into their catalogue. By simply inserting the school initials, you've already got an alma mater for the fans in the stands to get behind you with their support. Plus, the waltz is simple and if the sousaphones and tubas play it right, everybody can move to the beat easily so that they can groove in the sidelines.

And old men can fixate on the dancers....

1 comment:

Emeka said...

A thoughtful and nostalgic post with a dirty old man one-liner thrown in for good measure. Bravo.