Shooting the shit like I did at the BCC from those couches





Friday, July 08, 2005

Caught up with an old friend

I got an email from a friend of mine that she was going to be in the "area" this weekend starting Thursday. She's pretty popular and for those that missed her, such as myself, we needed to know that she was going to be here. Also, that her time was going to be limited due to the amount of people she had wanting to hang out with her. I can't be mad at such a thing because I'm pretty sure I do the exact same thing whenever I go back home for a few days. I can't catch up with everybody and alot of people want to do things with me.

This girl was a good female friend back in the early days of Mizzou. She was from Orland Park which is synonymous with Ice Cube's line "Living way/ NIGGER GO HOME/ spray painted on ya house" because it is so fucking far from the City. She was a good girl, free spirited like Freddie from "A Different World". Kind of like a white girl trapped in a Black girl's body, but cognizant that she would have to be able to interact with Black people eventually on a functional level. She graduated 3 years ago and in that time she did the teaching English in Japan thing as well as Fulbright Fellowship to Prague. Now she's getting her master's from Georgetown while doing non-profit work for The Discovery Channel.

This sounds like a winner to me......

Thing is though, she reminds me too much of my sister. Alot of people know that guys tend to be attracted to versions of their mother or grandmother. BUT, there are few who also tend to be attracted to versions of their female siblings. I'm starting to believe that I am of that few. She was the first instance where I realized this. Scary at first, but then I talked to my Mom and she explained the whole thing to me. Mom is the best!!!!

So Thursday rolls around and I give her a call. Just to see if she made it in and a safely. The whole London Bombing thing was on our collective minds, anyways! I left a message and waited for a call back. When that didn't happen I called her again a few hours later. We arranged to me up "for coffee" Friday morning. We met for coffee and cinnamon rolls at Panera and we talked about various things and DC lifestyles. I was unaware of the networking trends there and now that I know about them I may reconsider the relocation there within the next year or so. I like to base things on merit not just who one person knows. Actually merit outweighs connections but both entities are required to get around and ahead. Yeah.....

But all the while we are talking I begin to notice the similarities again between her and my sister. They both got chubby and are hella motorized. Both are slightly anal retentive and gossipy. I guess I'm really just attracted to the "action" in their personalities. However, the thing I don't like about my sister is her mood swings and bitterness. If I can avoid that, then i may end up marrying somebody like her.

Just a scary thought.....

No comments: