Shooting the shit like I did at the BCC from those couches





Friday, July 15, 2011

Peace, Prosperity, & Paper


"A-E-I-O-U
...and sometimes Y"










I'm going to check out that documentary on one of the best groups in Hip Hop history later this evening after work. I'm excited beyond belief. This excitement is boiling while I'm at the gig because I don’t want to come across to my co-workers how giddy I am. I'm really trying not to bounce off these here walls with the amount of excitement that I have.

A Tribe Called Quest(ATCQ, Tribe) was the music to the latter part of my childhood bumping me through adolescence, and finishing me off halfway through college. Its important to say that Tribe was indeed the soundtrack to very key moments in my life. From scouring Rand McNally atlases to find out where exactly is El Segundo (California), to wondering what Q-Tip meant when he said “38-24-37” on “Bonita Applebum” , all the way through figuring out its “Relax ya self girl! Please settle down” on “Electric Relaxation” and finding myself saying “Now why you wanna go and do that, Love, huh?” on a semi-weekly basis. At one point in time, I even described myself in an online forum in the exact same way Phife Dawg did. The music that Tribe has blessed us with, me, especially, is timeless.

Hell, what guy named Mohammed hasn’t been inundated by wannabe funny dudes and drunk cuties with the chorus from “Award Tour”?
Their body of work was consistent and spanned more than a decade. And although they haven’t made music together in over a decade, I still can’t help but look back at those years with rose colored cazalle shades and smile. Which I probably should do when I go see this documentary tonight…

No comments: